UW Application For Graduate School Help
Applicant Profile Page

Applicant's Name:
Please enter your name as it appears on legal documentation. International Applicants must provide name as it appears on their passport (refer to Machine-readable Zone):

Program Information Page

Select your application type:
A Visiting Graduate student must be pursuing a graduate degree at another accredited institution, be in good standing, and plan to transfer credits back to that home institution.
A Graduate Non-Matriculated student is a post-baccalaureate student who wishes access to a limited number of graduate courses at the University of Washington but has NOT been admitted to a degree program.
UW Student Number:
If you have ever been a registered student at the University of Washington, please indicate your student number.
If you are eligible for the Tuition Exemption Program and plan to request tuition exemption status, please indicate your employer:
This question applies only to current State of Washington and University of Washington employees who plan to take advantage of their tuition benefit to attend graduate school. Tuition exemption is only available for certain programs, please check with the program you are applying to before answering this question. Refer to the following University website for tuition exemption eligibility and policies http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/tuition_exempt.html
Washington Residents - To be classified as a resident of the State of Washington, you must indicate your current period of residence in Washington:
This question must be answered completely if you wish to be considered a Washington resident for tuition purposes. To qualify as a legal resident you must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, immigrant or refugee and have physically resided in the state of Washington for purposes other than educational for the last 12 consecutive months. Holders of any other types of visas will not qualify. For further information, please see http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/residency/.
Grade Point Average (0-4.0) for the last 90 quarter or 60 semester graded credits
To calculate the Grade Point Average (GPA) for the last 90 quarter or 60 semester graded credits:
  1. Working from the most recent quarter/semester add the graded course credits (excluding thesis or dissertation courses) until you reach 90 quarter or 60 semester credits. Use these 90 quarter or 60 semester credits to calculate your GPA.
  2. To calculate your GPA, multiply each course grade by the credits to achieve grade points. Add all grade points and divide by the total number of credits.
Universities that do not grade courses:
For universities that do not provide standard numerical or letter grades (e.g., Evergreen College) check the "My prior school(s) did not provide any grades" box.

Converting between quarter and semester systems on a 0.0-4.0 scale:
If the last 90 quarter or 60 semester credits span two or more institutions on different academic calendars use the following formulas to convert grades to a single system. Multiply by 1.5 when converting from semesters to quarters and divide by 1.5 when doing the reverse. For example a 4-credit class under a semester system is equivalent to a 6-credit class under a quarter system (4 x 1.5 = 6) and vice versa (6 ÷ 1.5 = 4).

Converting an international grading system to a 4.0 grading scale:
Applicants from an international institution must demonstrate strong academic achievement comparable to at least a 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale. To determine your grade point average (GPA), use your institution’s grading scale. You may also use the following sites to convert your institution’s grading system to a 4.0 grading scale:
Foreign Credits Grade Conversion: http://www.foreigncredits.com/Resources/Grade-Conversion/
Foreign Credits GPA Calculator: https://www.foreigncredits.com/Resources/GPA-Calculator/
WES iGPA Calculator: https://applications.wes.org/igpa-calculator/
Note: Some institutions' grading scales may not be listed on the above sites.

Contact Information Page

Mailing Address:
All correspondence will be mailed to this address so please check it carefully for accuracy. If it should change, it is important to update it at this Web site or to notify Graduate Admissions immediately. For addresses in the United States please include your 5-digit zip code. At least a street address, city, country and state or province (US or Canada Only) must be entered in order for your application to be processed.

Pay Fee and Submit Application Page

Applicant's Social Security Number:
At the UW, your SSN is used to match your admission test scores and financial aid application with your admission application. Protecting the release of student information will be in accordance with all UW policy and appropriate state and federal laws. The Graduate School removes the first 5 digits of the Social Security Number upon loading an application to the University central database.

Pay Fee and Submit Application Page

Credit Card Security code:
Both Mastercard and Visa have a 3 digit security code on the back of the credit card.
Credit Card Security Code